Frequently Asked Questions

Question Answer
Am I on track to graduate? How do I make an Advising Appointment?Would you like help evaluating your degree progress report? The Office of Advising and Integrated Student Services (OAISS) is your destination for undergraduate advising with personalized guidance around your degree requirements as well as resources, workshops and information to support you throughout your degree. To book an advising or petition advising appointment, please visit OAISS at 322 CFA or call (416) 736-5135 between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm. Please make sure you speak directly with the receptionist to book your appointment. OAISS is unable to book appointment requests left in voicemail.
How do I add a course that is restricted or reserved?Undergraduate students can request enrolment into a course that requires departmental permission by completing the MachForm at  This form may be used up until  the last date to add a course without permission (refer to under Add/Drop Deadlines to find the dates for the current academic term).  After such time, students need permission of the instructor to add a course. AMPD Departments handle these permissions differently and it is best to ask the Department for advice or to get copies of the required paperwork (if by voicemail or email, always include your full name, student number, the course code and instructors name)
How do I apply for Art History?
How do I apply for Independent Studies in Visual Arts & Art History?Independent Studies In Visual Arts & Art History designed so that students may pursue an intensive independent project under the supervision of a Visual Art & Art History faculty member on topics that are not generally available in the standard department curriculum. No more than one Independent Studies course may be taken in any given year. Applicable supplementary fees are charged for Independent Studies courses in studio areas where such fees are required. Prerequisite/Restrictions
    1. Independent Studies applicants must be in their final year of study
    2. Independent Studies applicants must have successfully completed a 4000-level course in the requested area of study e.g., painting, sculpture, 20th century art, Renaissance, etc.
    3. Students can only take 6.0 credits in Independent Studies in a single academic session.
To apply for an Independent Study there is a form available at the Department of Visual Arts & Art History reception area which you will need to fill out and have the professor sign.
How do I apply for Visual Art – Studio?
How do I get in touch with my Professor?You can find your professor’s email address by looking them up in the York Atlas or your course syllabus. You can also contact your professor to find out what their office hours are to talk in person.
I am a York Student, how do I change my major or minor?If you are currently enrolled and registered as an undergraduate student and wish to request a transfer to a different academic program/degree, please review the information at: and submit your program change request via the following link: A number of AMPD programs require an audition/interview/portfolio review before you can be admitted. When you submit your program change request, you should also contact the Department office (if by voicemail or email, always include your full name, student number, the course code, and instructors name) Cinema & Media Arts (Film) CFT 221 or 416-736-5149 or Computational Arts (Digital Media) GCFA 232 or 416-736-5187 or Dance ACE 301 or 416-736-5137 or Music ACE 371 or 416-736-5186 or Theatre CFT 322 or 416-736-5172 or Visual Art & Art History GCFA 235 or 416-736-5187 or   Please note: Design is unable to accommodate Internal York Transfer students for 2019/20 and 2020/21.
I have completed previous education, will I receive transfer credits?Students who have completed previous college, university or IB credits could be eligible for transfer credits. After you apply, your transcripts will be evaluated and you will be notified of your transfer credits with your offer of admission. More information is available here:
What are the Visual Art Portfolio requirements?Portfolio requirements vary by program.
    • Admission to the Art History (BA Honours) program is based solely on academic performance.
    • Admission to Visual Arts (BFA Honours) program is based both on academic performance and artistic merit. Both programs require the completion of a portfolio.
Portfolio Review Once you have applied to the program, you will receive an email that will include your reference ID and directions for completing the portfolio review. This email will be sent approximately 5-10 business days after you submit your application.
  • Visual Arts (BFA)
    • The applicant portfolio should comprise 8 artworks that illustrate the student’s technical and creative abilities. At least two different media should be presented from the following: drawing, photography, sculpture, digital art, printmaking, computer-generated imagery, painting, audio-video, experimental work. Slides or photographs are acceptable for large or awkward pieces but original, unmounted artwork is preferred. Your portfolio may include work carried out for class assignments as well as independent projects. A current sketchbook, idea book or journal is required and will count as one of your 8 pieces.
What does guaranteed consideration mean? Can I apply or complete my audition/interview/portfolio review after the deadline?Anyone who completes their application before the deadlines listed for their application cycle will have their application reviewed. Applications may be accepted after the guaranteed consideration deadline on a first come first served basis until the program is full.
What Happens after I apply to Visual Arts & Art History (BA and BFA)?Visual Arts & Art History BA applicants are admitted based on their GPA. BFA applicants are admitted based on GPA and portfolio review.  Once you have applied you will be invited to complete a questionnaire and book your on-campus portfolio review.  The review comprises of a 10 minute one on one discussion with a faculty member where you will discuss your portfolio materials and artistic methods. If you live more than 300 km away and are unable to come, you can submit your portfolio online.  To check the requirements please visit
What is a 1900 course and why is there no scheduled time?Six credits from the AMPD 1900 3.00 series of courses, outside the major, are required of all School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design degrees. These courses may be used toward satisfying the humanities general education requirement, the in/out requirements or an AMPD elective. For students admitted to the School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design with a minimum of 54 transfer credits, the six credits from the 1900 3.00 series of courses outside the major are optional. Only courses with FA/_ _ _ _ 1900 in the course code fulfill this requirement. You can find them in the York University Courses website by searching School of the Arts, Music, Performance & Design, the Department and 1900 under 'Faculty, Subject and Number.' Some 1900 courses such as Dance have online lectures so when you add them to your schedule there won't be a scheduled time for class but there may still be a scheduled tutorial.
When is the application deadline?